Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Drums Unlimited by Max Roach Review

Ah, jazz records. Most people want to argue about the classics, but I will tell you, drums are the most incredible parts of jazz for me. I don’t know why, but whenever I hear Max Roach or any of the famed drummers from the golden era of jazz, I have to pick up on the percussion. I love it. I also love trumpet, but there’s something about how some of the tuning and precision of the skins really works out. That being said, Max Roach is my favorite jazz drummer and one of my favorite records from him and his friends is none other than the Atlantic Records release from 1966, “Drums Unlimited”.

This doesn’t have a ton of songs on it, but what you get is some classic drumming and even a Christmas tune. “Nommo” is my favorite on this one, but the whole thing is really good. What I appreciated about this record, aside from the drums, of course, is that I loved the bass. The bass work from Jymie Merritt is amazing. The record has a beautiful mix of jazz compositions, but with a great deal of bass work to offset the drumming that Roach is known for.

If you’re a fan of jazz music in general, or you’re looking for a starting point, I am going to go against the grain and pick up Max Roach’s “Drums Unlimited”. I love the contrast of styles here, and the lineup is absolutely stellar. Now here’s the kicker, you can pick up this record for $2 used, so there’s no excuse for not listening to some good jazz here. “Drums Unlimited”, that’s my pick for you today, I love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...