Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Greenday Kerplunk Started It All For Me Back in 2000

17 years old. I was 17 years old the first time I heard Greenday’s second studio album. At the time there was a record store near the school I went to in Santa Monica, and it’s gone now. It’s long gone. The store was cool because they had a lot of used records and this is one that I purchased for cheap. I’d say I only paid like five dollars for it. “Kerplunk” seemed so cool to me at the time. It was the year 2000 by the time I got my grubby hands on this one, and of course the rest of their catalog. My parents didn’t want me listening to punk rock so I had to hide the first cassette tapes I had from Greenday, but eventually my mom divorced my stepdad and I got my paws on this record.

Kerplunk was solid, but it didn’t have the heavy bass and treble that the Reprise records sound had for “Dookie”. Aside from that, it really is a solid record with a lot to boast about. If you read the history about this record, you’ll realize that the band’s initial push sold roughly 50,000 copies of this out of the door. It was rereleased later on, and to date it has sold millions of copies, well beyond the Lookout! Records capacity I’m sure.

Looking back at the record, I can truly say that I still love it. I love the way the tracks flow, and even the bonus tracks that made up the “Sweet Children EP”. Funny thing, I had the EP on 7” vinyl from a long time ago, and well I sold it in 2011 when I got a divorce. Moscow, Idaho you hell of a city, you have all my records and I’ll probably never get them back!

So what’s up with the tracks? What songs are good? Well, you are going to love “2000 Light Years Away”, “Christie Road”, “Dominated Love Slave”, “Android”, “Welcome To Paradise”, and the likes. It’s a bit disjointed at times, but it’s a strong piece of Greenday history. I still love the way “Christie Road” sounds, and even though “Android” should get many people up in arms, no one cares about transgender phobic lyrics now, do they? Or at least from the sounds of the way the lyrics run, maybe I’m wrong.

For those that don’t know, “2000 Light Years Away” first caught my ear on the “Jerky Boys” movie soundtrack. So I was a big fan from that point forward, and of course, no one believes me about that. The movie isn’t grand, but it introduced me to the “Kerplunk” record. All in all, this is a good record with a lot of moments to remember. I suggest you pick it up today.

Buy Greenday "Kerplunk" Vinyl Rerelease w/ "Sweet Children" 7" HERE!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...