Dinosaur Jr. Without A Sound Creates Sonic Noise Today More Than Ever Before

When Dinosaur Jr. released “Without A Sound” I didn’t listen. It was 1997 and I was only 14 years old. I didn’t listen because I was too busy trying to collect the most punk rock cassette tapes and vinyl records that I could get my grubby hands on. I missed the boat in 1997, but have recently rediscovered the band, no thanks to WCW professional wrestler Raven. The band hit the studio in 1994 and came out with one hell of a record that is violent at times, emotional at times, and rivals any release that came out in 1994. That’s right, ANY alternative record can go toe to toe with Dinosaur Jr. “Without A Sound” and get a shot at glory.

Six albums into their career, the band really came across with a polished sound. The guitar driven record sits well with alternative rockers, but it’s the melodic drumming and precision bass lines that really capture the essence of the bands rollercoaster. It is definitely defined through the opening track “Feel The Pain”, which landed the band on the Billboard charts at the time. The guitar work and solo on “Feel the Pain” is perhaps one of the highest points for the record, but that’s not to say the 45 minutes of music doesn’t follow through on a great signature sound from the band.

As you dive into the other tracks on Dinosaur Jr. “Without A Sound”, you are going to be treated to crunchy guitars, solid drumming, good overall bass guitar work, and vocals that lean towards the 90s in such a manner that you will swear they are a different band. There’s a warble to Zedek’s vocals at times, but it comes back to a stronger focal point through the record.

As far as 1990s recordings are concerned, this is a seminal work for the decade, and definitely one of my favorite records from 1994. It’s underrated in a lot of circles, and those that are fans already know how good this one came out. If you’re going to pick up Dinosaur Jr. “Without A Sound” today, make sure that you get the remastered LP (vinyl) version, as it stands to be one of my favorite from collecting records in the past. I missed them the first time around on this release, but after discovering their catalog recently, I can truly say that they are on top of my favorite band’s list right now.

- Get More Music - If you're going to buy music, and listen to the records I mention, please do so by checking out Amazon below. It helps me continue to build my collection, and it's much appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2KX Create A Lavish Musical Framework Beyond Comparison

In Isolation Paints An Incredible Post Punk Portrait with Tears

SweetEve Bring On A Rocking Sound Worth Your Time